Agent 47 - Birth of the Hitman #1

Mister Miracle #1

As writers go, Tom King has left an impression on me that few others can claim. I put him in the same company as Stan Lee and Alan Moore as a shaper of what comics can be and what they will be remembered for. I first really got into his work last year with his truly stunning (and now Eisner Award-winning) run on Marvel's Vision, which is simultaneously the best and the most messed-up comic of 2016. If you haven't read it I strongly urge you to do so, but don't read it alone or without some sort of comfort aid to hand. I was not OK after I read it, and I still can't believe I mean that as a compliment.

But anyway, back to the comic at hand. DC's Mister Miracle is a 12 issue run that starts with us meeting our main character in a pretty shocking opening scene that sets the tone for the rest of the book - this is a very human story about a man who has lost himself, and his friends' efforts to help him with that. He hates being treated differently by everyone due to recent events in his life and tries to get back to his old self, only to find that much of his old self is defined by what others think of him, rather than what he thinks of himself. I have previously criticised comic books that spend all of their time on human drama and not enough on superheroing (there's room for both, but they are generally different genres of book) but King once again nails the perfect balance of this, making sure that Mister Miracle's superhero persona is central to the story, whilst showing his very human reaction to that facet of his life.
Yeah, I'd crap myself too.
Mitch Gerads' artwork hits the spot perfectly, evoking the style of the newsprint comics of the 70s and 80s which makes a great contrast between the perceived optimism and energy that we normally associate with superheroes, and the bleakness of this man's struggle. King's stories tend to have a 'your shiny perfect world is broken' undertone that always puts me in mind of Breaking Bad, and the bright visuals mix wonderfully with the writing to reinforce how few options a superhero has if they show any human weakness. It could almost feel like parody if it wasn't so well-executed.

I absolutely loved this comic. The fact it has been pre-determined for 12 issues gives them the opportunity to create a definite, contained story arc, which King used to great effect in Vision. This first issue created many layers to be peeled back in later publications, as well as giving some very intriguing clues and hints at what is to come. I am already hooked, and if the rest of the run maintains this level of quality, don't be surprised to see King's name being mentioned in the 2018 Eisners as well.

5 / 5

Comments