Agent 47 - Birth of the Hitman #1

If you're not familiar with 47, the titular Hitman of this new book, you should know that he is the face af a multi-million dollar empire. The Hitman games are wildly popular and have spawned 2 movies, although they are both worth forgetting. That's a common trend with movies based off video games, with a lot of very good premises for games struggling to translate as well to other media. So when I saw that a franchise that struggles with making a good movie had decided to try graphic literature via Dynamite Comics, I thought I should take a look.
2 identical men in an unmarked van parked up in the suburbs - yeah, this won't attract suspicion AT ALL...
This book works well for me, but I'm aware that my perception of it is coloured by the fact that I have played the games and am familiar with the lore. If you're not, this may feel a bit pedestrian, especially for a number one that's supposed to get you to pick up the rest of the series. As the title suggests, the story follows the origins of 47 and his early days training with his brother clones to become an assassin. It also follows the story of Diana, 47's well-known handler from the games. Overall I didn't get a sense of where the story will go from here, it felt more like a number of disjointed scenes put together to set things up for later issues. But that said, I enjoyed each of those scenes individually. The artwork is good even if it doesn't blow your mind, you can follow the story and that's as much as I can say for it really. 

It may sound like I am downplaying this book as bad, but it's not. It's just lacking that single "this is the reason you should buy this book" that a new comic needs. I am giving it 3 out of 5 and will probably check out the next issue, but if I wasn't familiar with Hitman already, my score would probably be lower, and I wouldn't be picking up issue 2.

3 / 5

Comments