Agent 47 - Birth of the Hitman #1

M.A.S.K. #9

I have really enjoyed this series up to now, not least of all because I am a 80s/90s kid so I remember M.A.S.K. from the first time around, much as I remember the other properties IDW have grown into a shared Hasbro comic universe, including this book along with G.I. Joe, Transformers and some other familiar names that really is one of the coolest ideas in comics right now.

So I was looking forward to introducing you to this series when this week's issue came out, but it would be just my luck that this would be the weakest issue we have had so far. Not so weak that I would drop the book, but they really are capable of better than this. The thing that really struck me with this book was the art; I have loved Drew Moss's work on this run so far, but it was very inconsistent in this issue, going from some lovely, well-finished images that have been a nice hallmark of M.A.S.K., to other panels which frankly didn't look finished.
Fun fact: 'Tata' is how English people say goodbye
On top of that, the story felt a bit pedestrian and convenient in places. Brandon Easton has done a great job of setting up the origins of M.A.S.K. and V.E.N.O.M. so far and has incorporated them into the wider universe very well; in this issue we see the team going on a mission with COBRA's Zartan in tow, a well-known adversary of G.I. Joe, who have also made the odd appearance in previous issues. It's not bad as such, it just feels a bit like a 'filler' issue and not much could have happened in this book that couldn't have been left out without slowing the story down.

I would still urge you to check out M.A.S.K., but maybe not this particular issue. 

2 / 5 

Comments