Agent 47 - Birth of the Hitman #1

Generations #1: Jean Gray & Phoenix

Following my review of the last issue of this limited run from Marvel, you might be surprised to see me pick up the second offering. Firstly, as each issue is separate from the other, I will probably look at all of this series. And secondly, I always make a point of giving the second issue of a book a chance if I didn't like the first one. 
Gratuitous bikini shot so everyone thinks I'm running one of 'those' comic blogs
So after last week's dumpster fire, this was... OK. I'm still trying to decide if I think it's better than it actually is due to my massively lowered expectations from the Hulks issue, but it didn't horrify me. This comic goes through the same motions in setting the scene that the last Generations did. Future Jean Gray finds herself whisked back through time with no idea why, she happens across her past self (past, older self, because you know, timelines) and then they just, well... they just hang out. That's the story for most of this book, and while it's obviously trying to build up what is going on in young Jean's head, it just gets boring. It doesn't stay that way but the action that we eventually see feels shoehorned, as though like us, writer Cullen Bunn got so far into the book and realised that nothing interesting was happening. 
Popular hero Captain Obvious joins the Marvel Universe
This issue also treaded into the territory that many had feared from this series: the classic character heavily endorsing the new one. It came across exactly how I feared it would, in that I felt like I was being marketed to rather than being told a story. We do, however, get some clue of why heroes are jumping through time and meeting themselves, so I am a little relieved that there seems to be some attempt to string this together with an overreaching story arc. One big plus for this book is the artwork; R.B. Silva has put together page after page of beautiful visuals, many of which would be worthy of a poster. Rain Beredo's colours really make them pop, with a bright colourset that really suits the setting and characters.

Worth checking out for the clues to the overall story arc and for the sumptuous artwork, but so far Generations continues to underwhelm.

2.5 / 5

Comments