Agent 47 - Birth of the Hitman #1

Secret Empire #6

Ah, Secret Empire. If you like comics, have an internet connection, and haven't had your head stuck in a toilet for the last few months, there isn't much I can say about this Marvel event that you won't have heard, is there? I'm not a fan myself, mostly because of event fatigue (it's real, Marvel, and you need to wise up to it). I'm one of the seemingly rare people that loves the twist of making Captain America a villain, although I think it could have been handled better and the overall story arc they are trying for feels like it's beyond the abilities of some of the people they have working on it. It says it all that I find myself waiting for it to be over rather than eagerly awaiting the next instalment. 

So, this will be short, as I try as much as possible to avoid spoilers, but - it appears we finally have a good, entertaining, readable issue of Secret Empire.
Our heroes' hate-reading of Secret Empire is interrupted by decent storyline and character development
That's largely because this book ties up a few loose ends that may have been niggling at you since this story started, and some of them are satisfying, while others are quite shocking and - perhaps even more shockingly - make me want to read more. This issue feels like it was written in response to the critics of Secret Empire, but I think it will still appeal to those of you that have enjoyed it up to now.

Whether you love or hate Secret Empire, this is one to read.

3 / 5


Footnote - if you're stuck as to what Secret Empire titles are worth spending your money on, I recommend Brave New World. Each issue is a collection of 3 short stories, some are good, some are bad, some are just OK, but it gives some good background to what is going on and the stories are often more interesting than the main subject of this event.

Comments