Agent 47 - Birth of the Hitman #1

Jessica Jones #10

I have a love-hate relationship with the current run of Jessica Jones. On one hand, they have wisely done what very few Marvel books have done, which is make her easy to associate with the on-screen version. Most people know these characters through Marvel movies and TV, and more casual readers can be confused by how much a lot of characters differ between page and screen. Marvel has the best opportunity it has ever had to introduce a whole new generation to the wonderful world of comic books, and it's throwing that away with some poor creative choices which, while Marvel might feel have a lot of creative integrity, are not finding an audience. And it's because that audience have an idea of what those characters are going to be before they ever walk into a comic book store, thanks to the MCU. But anyway, back to this issue. 

My love-hate relationship starts before I open it. David Mack's covers, individually, are stunning pieces of art, each one worthy of being made into a poster. But line them up, and you may find yourself thinking that you are looking at a handful of proposals for the cover of one issue. They are very repetitive, and this one only redeems itself by replacing the usual central subject, a moody-looking (what else?) Jessica, with a Hydra emblem. It's Secret Empire tie-in time.

The story in each issue is good, and most issues can be read pretty much in isolation if you want to, which I like as it adds value to the book. But it is heavy on dialogue, and sometimes that dialogue feels like it could be shorter without losing anything. In this issue Maria Hill turns up, whom I have always felt is the Marvel Universe's secret weapon. To me, she is the Sersei Lannister of Marvel Comics; you want to hate her, but you can't ignore that voice at the back of your head saying "She's right, you know". She is also often used as the reminder of how utterly damaging to the average human being the world of superheroes actually is; it's written on her face, in her actions, how she speaks, everything. I have always found her one of the most readable characters and I am hoping she plays a more and more central role in Secret Empire as the arc progresses, as it would certainly improve it no end as far as I'm concerned.
Maria Hill. I might have a bit of a crush.
Michael Gaydos' artwork suits the grimy, gritty world that Jessica inhabits perfectly, and should make it great, but then we have an action sequence and it just doesn't capture, well, the action. Take this for example:

This is supposed to be a bomb unexpectedly crashing through a window. And I just don't get any feeling of movement, of surprise, of the sudden, violent cat-amongst-the-pigeons effect something like this would bring. I have previously had something unexpectedly thrown through my window (thankfully not a bomb) and the reaction is nowhere near as still and serene as this image feels. Overall I love the art of this comic, but there is something lacking when it comes to dynamic, fast-moving scenes.

I think you can skip this book without losing too much from the current run of JJ, or the Secret Empire arc. But I do enjoy reading a character that feels very much like the one I enjoyed seeing on screen. Other Marvel titles should take note.

2.5 / 5

Comments