Agent 47 - Birth of the Hitman #1

Deadpool #34

There's something about your favourite comic book characters that makes their books fade into the background a little. Deadpool is a staple of my comic reading diet, and it would take something pretty drastic to change that. So when I think about what comics I read this week that were really good, they will often not spring to mind as I expect them to be good, and it almost stops becoming noteworthy.

That's why I wanted to do a writeup on this issue of Deadpool, because it surpassed my usual expectation and left me consciously thinking "damn, that was a good book!" Often, big event tie-ins can ruin a comic, but Gerry Duggan has taken a great angle on Secret Empire for Deadpool, and that pays off a lot in this issue, which is funny, action-packed and heartwrenching all at the same time. 

What follows is a classic Deadpool tale that starts out as him appearing to be a bumbling buffoon that is lucky not to get himself and lots of other people killed, and then evolves into a reveal that he had a cunning plan right from the start, while also reminding you that under the clowning exterior is a very sensitive, damaged and tortured man who is barely holding it together.
It's funny because you don't doubt it for a second
Some of the artwork is love-it-or-hate-it, personally I love it and I think the layout and style really adds to the story. The ending is satisfying and makes you want to buy the next issue, which is probably the highest praise for the climax of a comic book that you can give. 

If you're reasonably familiar with Secret Empire but not familiar with Deadpool, this is a really good place to jump on. Probably my favourite book released this week.

4 / 5

Comments